Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Least Among You
















Republicans are now blocking the extension of unemployment benefits for workers who, through no fault of their own, have been laid off during this terrible recession. Many Republicans are proud to call themselves Christians, but are they actually Christians, not only in word, but in deed? How do we know who is truly following Jesus? Simple. Are they obeying the clear teachings of the word of God?

There are over 3000 references to the poor in the Bible.

Here is the clear message from Jesus himself, from
Matthew 7:21-23
“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.”

Then later in that same chapter, Jesus said in
Matthew 25:41-45
Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least among you, you did not do for me.'

1 John 3:17-18
If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

Proverbs 21:13
If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered.

Proverbs 14:31
He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.

Proverbs 28:27
He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses.

Proverbs 31:8-9
Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.

Republicans are also pushing for more tax cuts for the wealthy, and ending the estate tax. In that regard here is 1 Timothy 6:17-19




















Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

Republicans are also pushing for states to enact their own draconian immigration laws, superseding federal law, thereby inviting the racial profiling of aliens.

Deuteronomy 24:14
Do not take advantage of a hired man who is poor and needy, whether he is a brother Israelite or an alien living in one of your towns.

This elitist attitude was summed up succinctly by the self professed “Christian,” George W. Bush:

“Thank you all very much. This is an impressive crowd-- the haves and the have-mores. (Laughter)
Some people call you the elite. I call you my base." (Laughter)

Here is a video of that event.

sndd0138 commented “look at these arrogant fucks laughing their asses off“

And websuspect responded, “Yep get a good look at it. There laughing at you SLAVES.”

This is not the behavior of true Christians.

No comments: